How can I get involved with the work of London Cancer?

At London Cancer, we strongly believe in collaborating with patients and carers to shape our objectives and drive our work. Cancer patients and carers are active participants in our pathway boards, expert reference groups and subgroups tasked with defined pieces of work to improve cancer services. If you have been a carer or have had cancer and were treated in north central and north east London and west Essex you can get involved with London Cancer’s work by applying to be a patient representative on one of our pathway boards or expert reference groups. View the patient representative opportunities

London Cancer also runs a number of events throughout the year including our Improving Patient Experience Learning Community sessions. If you would like to attend one of these sessions, please contact Kellie Thomas.

Who does London Cancer work with?

London Cancer works with partner hospital trusts within north east London, central London and west Essex. We also work with:

  • Our local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs)
  • NHS London
  • Public health
  • Other key care providers including GP surgeries, hospices, and universities.

What charities can be helpful with information and support?

If you would like more information about cancer types including symptoms, treatments, research and what support is available, you can find this at:

You can also find more detailed information of support services in our area in our Directory of services.

Who are the different members of the multi-disciplinary team that will treat me/my family member?

Everyone who receives a cancer diagnosis is discussed in a multi-disciplinary team (MDT) to make sure that they receive high quality, holistic treatment and care. MDTs may include any of the following healthcare professionals, depending on the type of cancer involved and the services available in particular locations:

  • Oncologist
  • Radiologist
  • Specialist surgeon
  • General surgeon
  • Pathologist
  • Cancer nurse specialist
  • Chemotherapy nurse
  • Allied health professional (such as dietitian, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, speech and language therapist, psychologist and social worker)

Who can I speak to if I would like advice about my cancer treatment?

In the first instance, contact your Clinical Nurse Specialist or Consultant to discuss specific details about your cancer treatment. If you have a general query about cancer or cancer treatment, Macmillan Cancer Support provide a free support line service on 0808 808 00 00. This support line enables you to talk to a nurse specialist and is open Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm.